- TMG identifies and co-designs relevant solutions and social innovations that can be elevated into higher-level decision-making processes.
- VGGT is TMG’s reference point of responsible governance of tenure of land that protects land tenure rights.
- TMG helps create a safe space for local communities to develop innovations.
The Voluntary Guidelines on Responsible Governance of Tenure of Land
The Voluntary Guidelines on the Responsible Governance of Tenure of Land, Fisheries, and Forests in the Context of National Food Security (VGGT) are TMG Research‘s reference point that has been unanimously adopted by members of the UN Committee on World Food Security (CFS).
The VGGT provides a global standard of responsible governance of tenure of land that protects land tenure rights of all, in particular the vulnerable and marginalized.
TMG’s social innovations to protect soils and people
To continue to feed a growing world population and achieve an adequate standard of living for all while cutting back on carbon emissions requires innovations. Since natural ecosystems have very specific characteristics, such innovations are often best developed at the local scale. However, many local communities are unable to secure a safe space to develop these innovations.
Given the underlying power dynamics that lead to infringements of the land rights of the most “powerless,” a rights-based framework helps to underpin such local innovations. TMG has facilitated innovative processes to secure legitimate land tenure rights.
- Community-led lease guidelines to secure women’s access to land in Kakamega County, Kenya
- Monitoring implementation of the UNCCD Land Tenure decision in Kenya and Benin
- Human Rights & Land Navigator – a powerful instrument for strengthening the application of the VGGT
Publisher: TMG – Think Thank
Ecosystem(s): Agricultural Land
Location(s): Africa, Benin, Kenya