For the average person, the United Nations likely conjures up images of renowned state leaders and high-level forums with experienced (old) attendees. Next week, the UN is calling in a new crowd and partnering with youth leaders to present the UN ECOSOC Youth Forum #YOUTH2030.
This year’s UN Youth Forum is centered on “the role of youth in building sustainable and resilient urban communities” will be held in New York from January 30-31. The Forum provides a platform for youth to discuss policy frameworks, promote innovative approaches and initiatives, and contribute to reviewing progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals.
As the GLF Youth Coordinator, I will be heading to New York to cover the event and further collaboration among young people creating solutions for sustainable landscapes. The two-day event is filled with landscape relevant sessions and opportunities to exchange views and ideas on how to strengthen resilience and sustainable development.
I will be in and around everywhere – moderating sessions, delivering a keynote address, interviewing individuals, and sharing my insights online! Which really means this is your chance to get an inside look at the forum.
Join the online Facebook chat for updates and Feb 1st at 9 AM EST where I’ll be answering all your questions: https://www.facebook.com/events/163145560990027/
Some interesting sessions to look to:
Day 1 – Jan 30th
- 10:00 AM: Opening Session
- Opening remarks by the Deputy Secretary General of the UN, President of the General Assembly, President of ECOSOC, and others.
- I will be delivering the Keynote Address and speaking to a few truths about young people and what it takes to achieve transformational change.
- 3:00 PM: Sustainable Development Goal 15 – “Life on Land” Breakout session
- An opportunity to share critical and reflective analysis and experiences of young people working to sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt land degradation and biodiversity loss.
- This session is co-moderated by myself through the International Forestry Students’ Association and the Global Youth Biodiversity Network.
Day 2 – Jan 31st
- 3:00 PM Plenary Session – Interactive Roundtable on Financing Youth Development
- We’re going to hear about how to promote development policies in support of youth initiatives and their contributions to the 2030 Agenda.
- 4:00 PM – SDG Media Zone Interview
- I will be interviewing the President of the General Assembly and the President of ECOSOC live! This is a chance to hear how insights from the Forum will be taken forward to action.
Let’s make our voices heard!